It was not long ago that I became aware of the spiritual context of Bob Dylan‘s Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) even though it was released on the B side of Changing of the Guards as well as the 1978 album Street Legal, which also contains Love in Vain – a song I had regarded as very spiritual for a long time.
Here’s a shot at an interpretation from a spiritual perspective:
Some aspects: what I find striking / topics I see in the song:
- The very memorable beginning: No fooling around, it is about deep questions right from the start
- Longing for a conscious connection to the newly born soul
- Tension between the old state of being and the calling of the new soul
- Humbleness and a new focus in life
- A decisive moment: dedicating one’s life to the new soul for good
Let me know what you think of this Dylan masterpiece!