Listening to Leonard Cohen‘s Avalanche, I used to feel uneasy, at the mercy of a power beyond my scope. Now I see it as crucial advice on a spiritual path.
Some key aspects covered in the video:
- The art of starting a song spectacularly – including a reference to a Bob Dylan song
- Crumbs of love – at the mercy of a higher power
- The speaker as the Divine Soul within
- The hunchback talking to the human seeker
- Pain and suffering – turning into a servant of the Divine
- The pedestal – false worship and soberness
- The God within needs the help of man
- Avoiding both self-pity and exaggeration
Here’s a live recording of the song that I really like – it is like a heart-felt prayer to me:
Nick Cave did a very intense version that resonates well with me:
Here’s a somewhat softer version by the same artist:
One more – Janileigh Cohen is, to my knowledge, not related to Leonard:
All the best for your own quest!